Childrens Podiatrist Wynnum
At Mint Foot Care Podiatry Clinic, we have a special interest in the growth and development of children’s feet and we use the latest treatments and technology available to provide optimal care.
The feet of young children are not fully developed until the age of 18. A newborn’s feet contains mainly fatty tissue (muscles, ligaments and tendons) and soft cartilage, which changes into bone as their feet grow. Children are prone to conditions and injuries due to this soft fatty tissue and cartilage being pliable. This can potentially lead to foot deformities from abnormal pressure and forces. It is important to assess and diagnose conditions at an early age as they are easier to treat, manage and correct – preventing later problems in adulthood.
Children may begin to walk at any time between 10 to 18 months of age, so it’s important to ensure their feet are developing normally early on. Neglecting foot problems at an early age can manifest into lower back, hip and leg problems later in adulthood. Not every condition can be outgrown without proper treatment and intervention, so treating issues correctly from the start will ensure their proper growth, development and avoid problems later in life.
Our kids podiatrist servicing Manly, Wynnum, and Morningside, provide an holistic approach to children’s feet by working with other health professionals such as neurologists, orthopaedic surgeons and physios.
Our team servicing Manly, Wynnum, and Morningside podiatry, provide an holistic approach to children’s feet by working with other health professionals such as neurologists, orthopaedic surgeons and physios.
Conditions We Treat
Our kids podiatrists in Wynnum are trained and qualified to treat the following conditions:
- Bow Legs – Bow legs are the opposite of Knock Knees, and involves the knees being spaced apart abnormally when the legs are straightened. Like Knock Knees, Bow Legs are common among infants and toddlers, and is often outgrown as the child grows older. However, a severe case of bow legs, or those that last beyond three years of age, should be consulted and treated by professionals. Our kids podiatrist in Wynnum can help diagnose and treat bow legs in such cases.
- Flat Feet – Although not every case of flat-footedness is abnormal or detrimental to your child’s development, it’s important to monitor any signs of flat fleet to ensure it won’t cause any issues as your child’s feet develop. We can help you assess your child’s flat-footedness and prescribe treatments or interventions if necessary.
- In-toeing – In-toeing is a common childhood condition that involves your child’s foot/feet turning inward when walking. Although many children outgrow in-toeing eventually, it’s important to treat cases that are severe or those that cause your child to trip regularly.
- Knock Knees –Knock knees is a condition where one or two knees are angled inward whenever the legs are straightened, causing the knees to touch and knock on each other. Knock knees in children are common between the ages of 3 and 5, and children often outgrow them as they get older. More severe cases of knock knees, however, need to be treated by professional to ensure proper development.
- Osgood Schlatters Disease – Inflammation of the patella tendon at the insertion of the tibial tuberosity. It is commonly seen in boys between the ages of 10 to 16 years. This disease is characterised by a painful lump below the knee as well as anterior knee pain. It worsens with activity and improves with rest. It can also be aggravated by activities such as running, jumping, walking up and down stairs. As part of the treatment plan our podiatrist may prescribe rest and ice, orthotics, NSAIDs, activity modifications and stretching and strengthening exercises..
- Out-toeing – Out-toeing is less common than in-toeing, causing your child’s foot/feet to turn outwards when walking. Like in-toeing, many cases of out-toeing are often outgrown or corrected as your child grows. But more severe cases – or those that don’t correct themselves naturally – need to be addressed to ensure proper development.
- Sever’s Disease – Also known as Calcaneal Apophysitis, Sever’s Disease is common among active children, especially pre-teens and adolescents. This condition causes heel pain and heel stiffness, which often intensifies after exercise or intense activity. If your child is suffering from nagging heel pain, we can diagnose and treat it early to minimise pain and initiate recovery.
- Walking on Tiptoes – For children under the age of three, walking on tiptoes is completely normal, especially while they practice walking. However, if your child persists with toe walking on a regular basis beyond the age of three, seeing a podiatrist is advisable to prevent calf muscle and hamstring tightness.
Signs Your Child Needs Professional Foot Care
Although many issues in children’s feet are outgrown and sorted naturally as they grow, there are cases where professional intervention or medical treatment are necessary to ensure proper development.
We recommend that you schedule a check-up with our kids podiatrist in Wynnum if:
- Your child complains of recurring pain, sore feet, and sore legs.
- Your child is not walking by the age of 18 months.
- Your child wants to be carried most of the time.
- You notice uneven shoe wear.
- You notice any skin rashes, hard skin lumps, or bumps on your child’s feet.
- Your child is constantly tripping or falling.
If you notice any of these symptoms, or if you have any other concerns about the condition of your child’s feet, book an appointment with our children’s podiatrist to get professional consultation.
Professional Care for Your Children’s Feet
If children are complaining of pain in their foot, ankle, knee, hip or lower back for more than a few days or if they are having difficulties walking, this is not considered normal and should be evaluated by a podiatrist. Foot problems are best detected early in childhood to prevent more serious foot complications later in adult life.
Mint Foot Care is well known for their children’s podiatrists Wynnum and Brisbane-wide, so you can trust us to provide the right care and attention to your children’s feet. We’re also a trusted children’s podiatrist for Manly parents and caretakers, providing parents in this area with a reliable podiatrist for kids and toddlers. We can assess any issue that may be affecting your child’s feet and prescribe the right treatments to fix them and ensure their proper growth.
Book a consultation online to schedule an appointment with our kids podiatrist in Wynnum, Gumdale and Wakerley. If you need more information about our services and treatments for children’s feet, feel free to get in touch with our team.